Wow! The last few weeks of school are upon us. Where did the year go? The end of the year is busy. Check the newsletter to keep updated on important happenings in first grade.
Here are some important fartm trip reminders for our trip to Teusink Farm on Friday, June 6th:
- We will leave school by 8:30 and return around 1:30.
- Students will ride the bus.
- Many chaperones will drive and many can ride the bus.
- Smaller siblings are not allowed to attend with us on this day…sorry!
- Parents who decide to attend at the last minute are welcomed. You will need to pay your $4 when we arrive. Please let us know as soon as you decide.
- School lunches have been ordered for those who responded by the deadline and for those students who qualify for free lunch.
- All other students and parents should bring a “brown bag” lunch. Please leave lunchboxes at home for the day.
- Please dress appropriately for being outdoors. Tennis shoes and CREW blue are the preferred attire for the day.
- Remember sunscreen that morning.
- We are in need of several large coolers with ice packs to store and carry the lunches. Please let your teacher know if you can bring one.
9 weeks left of school! 9 weeks to be prepared for second grade! 9 weeks left together!
With Earth Day just around the corner have your child bring in something GREEN hidden in a bag. They will need to write down 3 clues that will help their friends guess what is in the bag. April sharing is the week of April 21st. Students received this assignment in the Newsletter on April 18th. Have your child bring in their share on their designated day.
Please wear CREW blue on Monday April 21st.
Remember there is a half day on Friday, April 18th; dismissal at 11:45.
NEW Boxtops 4 Education contest!! The MYSTERY EGG CONTEST will run thru Wednesday, April 16th. TEN boxtops are all you need to get ONE chance to win. Two Mystery Eggs will be given away. Please put your first and last names with your Boxtops to enter. Only valid Boxtops (NO Expired Boxtops) will be counted and please don’t staple the boxtops.
Wow! March is Reading Month and is filled with lots of fun things you will want to know about:
1. One School, One Book. Every Lincoln Park family received a copy of Frindle. Please follow the reading schedule on the included bookmark and enjoy this book with your little one. There will be a calendar with activities to do while reading. We encourage you and your child to do these, take a picture and send it in so they can share it with everyone!
2. March Sharing – student readers. Students were assigned a day of the month to read a book of their choosing to the class. Please help your child practice repeatedly this book and ensure they are fluent at reading it. Please choose a book that can be finished within 5 minutes.
3. Since you will be reading so much this month do not forget to color in your Book-It calendars!
February brings two very fun first grade celebrations. To celebrate 100?s Day, students will have a day filled with all things one hundred. The next week students will enjoy a Valentine exchange with their friends.
Check out the helpful links on the right, including important dates to remember this month
January allows us to gear up for the remainder of the year! We are hopeful that the kids are ready to be challenged with the work ahead. We are excited for each child to continue becoming passionate for reading. Remember the more you read with your child and have your child read “at level” books to you the more confident they will become with their reading skills.
Allow time for your child to access our online reading opportunities…RAZ and LEXIA!
Reading together is a positive bonding time with your child. Enjoy
It’s December in First Grade and already it’s beginning to feel like Christmas! With winter here, please remember how toasty your children will feel playing outside in the proper gear. Boots, gloves, and hats can make for happy outside play. It will be important to remember to send in shoes to change into as well, so their wet boots can dry in the hallway during the day.
It is exciting to see all of the new readers in our classrooms grow in their love of reading! Our classes are excited to read every day, which makes our jobs that much easier. Remember to read at home as well, and record those minutes on the December Book It recording sheet.
Don’t forget to help your child earn a little extra money to buy a new toy for our “Toys for Tots” campaign. These can be brought to school before December 18th. Thank you!
Be on the lookout for links to volunteerspot.com in future e-mails as we begin to plan our Holiday party. We’ll need your help to make this event fun for the little ones. You can find the date for the Christmas party, as well as other important dates on the right hand side of the page.
We are looking forward to meeting with all of our first grade families at conferences this month. It is always fun to brag about children and how well they are doing to parents! Conferences are November 18th and 21st. If you have misplaced your time, we would be happy to remind you.
November is also a time of giving thanks. We just want to say how thankful we are for the great group of kiddos we get to work with this year. We are also thankful for the wonderful amount of parent volunteers and support we are experiencing these first few months – thanks for all you do!
Be sure to check out the important dates for the month of November. It’s filled with some half days you’ll need to plan ahead for and also some “NOOOO Early Release Mondays”.
Wow! Where did September go?
We are really settling in to first grade. Students are getting more comfortable with their days in first grade, their new friends, and with their teachers. We are learning the expectations and are working diligently every day
Last week we had our first CREW reward drawing and assembly. Congratulations to all of our first graders for the buckets full of CREW tickets they earned in their classrooms this month!
Things to look for in October: Walk-A-Thon fundraiser, Halloween celebrations, and Pet sharing. Please find more information in the links on the right side of the blog and in newsletters.
Welcome to the first grade! We are glad you are here and look forward to a great year of growing, learning, and fun.
Thanks for checking out our classroom blog. Be sure to check back regularly to read the weekly newsletter (which will no longer be printed in hard copy), for helpful updates, if you need copies of lost Book It forms, and to have your child visit the web links I select for extra practice under the “blogroll.”
Be sure to check out the “Important Dates” page on the right to see what dates you will need to know for September.
It was great to see so many of you at Open House. Please keep the parent packet of curriculum information you received for future reference. Need a new one or an extra copy? Click Here!
Please remember to fill out all of those important papers and send them back in the envelope as soon as possible.
August letter to parents with a list of needed supplies…Click Here!. :)